One of the common forms of many medicines is suppositories. They are administered to patients by rectal or vaginal route, which is considered quite convenient in itself. In addition, there are a number of advantages that are considered when describing suppositories. In the treatment of urological diseases, in particular, cystitis, experts prefer this particular form of treatment. What are the advantages and are there disadvantages of rectal suppositories? Before understanding the principle of treatment with suppositories, it is necessary to understand what are the features of the disease.
Cystitis and its treatment
In medicine, the term "cyst" means several types of urological pathologies, in which an inflammatory lesion of the bladder mucosa appears. Due to the peculiarities of the anatomical structure of the body, women are more likely than men to suffer from this disease. The activity of this organ is associated with all physiological systems, therefore, functional disorders are reflected, first of all, in the state of the female urogenital sphere.
Signs and causes of the disease
The most common cause of cystitis are infectious agents. This is due to the proximity of the vagina and anus, as well as the short length and wide lumen of the urethral canal. The disease that develops in women rarely appears isolated, it is most often combined.
The most common causes of inflammation are:
- Penetration of an infectious pathogen, which may be Escherichia coli, Staphylococcus, Proteus or Klebsiella.
- Exposure to specific agents - viruses, fungi, mycoplasmas, chlamydia, trichomonas.
- Taking certain medications.
- Allergic reactions.
- Inflammatory processes in the pelvic organs.
Provocative factors are:
- endocrine disorders;
- frequent change of sexual partners;
- wearing tight underwear;
- neglect of personal hygiene rules.
Regardless of the causes, cystitis has a characteristic symptomatic complex:
- Frequent urination, accompanied by burning, pain in the urethra and bladder.
- False desire to empty, their addition at night.
- Pain in the perineum and pubic region, often radiating to the lumbosacral region.
- Urine excretion in small portions and is dark in color, turbid in nature and often contains pus or blood impurities.
- Urinary incontinence (in rare cases).
- Signs of general intoxication are headache, nausea, vomiting, weakness, apathy.
Dosage forms applied
In modern conditions, with timely therapy and the use of effective medications, rapid healing of cystitis and complete recovery of the bladder mucosa is possible after 7-12 days.
The choice of dosage form is determined by the severity of the disease, the age and sex of the patient, the presence of concomitant pathologies or pregnancy.
If the manifestations of the disease are quite severe and there is a need to take urgent measures, then the doctor prescribes intramuscular injections or intravenous injections. Solutions in ampoules or bottles are used for these purposes.
If the clinical picture is moderate, coated capsules or tablets are appropriate to prevent damage to the intestinal mucosa.
Gels, pastes, ointment forms are recommended for topical use. They are inserted into the vagina with a swab if the patient is female, or rectally if the patient is male.
In treating bladder inflammation, specialists can prescribe different forms that are compatible with each other. This enhances the therapeutic effect and speeds up healing.
Use of suppositories for cystitis
Very often, the doctor prescribes rectal suppositories in the treatment regimen for cystitis. They are divided into several types and in most cases are important for infectious and inflammatory diseases of the genitourinary system, severe pain, as well as a general weakening of the immune defense.
Only a doctor can choose the best option, depending on the type of pathogen and the severity of the symptoms.
Indications for cystitis
Rectal suppositories are prescribed mainly for men, boys, girls. Women are more suitable for vaginal suppositories. Preparations in this form help eliminate sources of pathogenic microflora, infections in the external genitalia (in women) and reduce pain.
In the instructions for use, the list of indications, in addition to cystitis, includes diseases such as:
- male and female urethritis;
- thrush and vaginosis;
- sexually transmitted infections caused by gonococcus, chlamydia, ureaplasma, treponema, trichomonas.
The pros and cons of the dosage form
Rectal suppositories are medicines, so only a doctor should deal with their appointment. The possibility of using it for cystitis is determined by him based on the existing advantages:
- Compact dosage form.
- Simplicity and painlessness of entry. Ability to use independently at home.
- Candles do not irritate the organs of the digestive system. Active substances enter the focus of inflammation, bypassing the gastrointestinal tract.
- Fast action. In terms of the rate of absorption, suppositories are equivalent to intravenous injections.
- maximum bioavailability. The active substance is distributed unchanged, as it is not exposed to hydrochloric acid.
- Reduce the risk of developing allergic reactions to the administered drug.
- Possibility of combination with preparations that have organoleptic properties.
- Indispensable for toxicosis of pregnant women, as well as violations of the processes of swallowing and absorption.
- There are no or minimal manifestations of side effects.
- Therapeutic effects on the digestive, reproductive and urinary systems.
Despite the great advantages, rectal suppositories have a number of disadvantages:
- discomfort in use, especially during working hours;
- instability of the composition, which reduces the shelf life of the product;
- mandatory compliance with storage conditions;
- production complexity.
General recommendations for use
Despite the comfort and compactness of the shape, candles have a therapeutic effect only if used properly.
To do this, you must study the instructions and follow the procedure in accordance with the general rules:
- Rectal administration provides preliminary bowel emptying.
- Vaginal use is indicated only after bathing or bathing.
- Hands should be thoroughly washed with cold water and a suitable product (soap, gel).
- Open the package, take the candle and insert it to a depth approximately equal to the length of your finger.
- After insertion, it is necessary to spend half an hour in a supine position so that the medicine is absorbed.
- When used on children, the hindquarters should be closed after insertion and held for 10 minutes.
In order for candles to retain their therapeutic effect for a longer time, it is necessary that they be stored correctly. The optimum temperature is considered to be no higher than + 20 ° C, and the place for their maintenance is dry and dark. If the recommendations are followed, the shelf life is usually 2 years.
List of recommended drugs
For the use of suppositories for cystitis in women and men, a list can be compiled based on the drugs that are often indicated in the treatment of bladder inflammation.
The general list includes suppositories with opium alkaloids (an isoquinoline derivative), pipemidic acid, and chloramphenicol, as well as high estrogen preparations prescribed for menopause. All have a bargain price and are sold at the pharmacy.
Representatives and their detailed description
Antibacterial drugs are prescribed if the causative agent of the infection is Escherichia coli or Staphylococcus aureus. The most well-known among this group are the suppositories used for cystitis in women and men, whose names may be familiar to many people.
Suppositories containing chlorhexidine gluconate. This component has the ability to destroy the cell membrane of various pathogens, which leads invariably to their destruction.
Candles are used for cystitis, they are also intended for the treatment of other pathologies, such as p. sh.
- vaginitis of various etiologies;
- inflammation of the cervix;
Applying the course with daily use twice is one week.
The combined antibacterial agent (aminoglycoside + polyene + cyclic polypeptide) belongs to the category of expensive drugs. It is prescribed in case of acute course of primary cystitis or in case of recurrence of its chronic form.
Prohibited for use during pregnancy, lactation, menstruation. The duration of therapy is 10 days.
A broad-spectrum drug containing an iodine complex with polyvinylpyrrolidone. Inhibits the reproduction of viruses, fungi, pathogenic bacteria. Helps eliminate symptoms such as burning and itching, persistent companions of cystitis. Used in the treatment of many sexually transmitted infections (trichomoniasis, mycoplasma, herpes, vaginosis). Treatment is indicated daily for 2 weeks.
It is representative of the group of NSAIDs (phenylacetic acid derivatives). The drug has a good analgesic and anti-inflammatory effect. The maximum concentration in the blood after penetration reaches 30 minutes later. With cystitis, use is indicated in the morning and in the evening for a week at a dose of 1 suppository per day. Not prescribed during pregnancy and lactation.
Drugs with interferon alfa-2b. It has been described as a means of strengthening the immune system. It has a combined effect and is used in the treatment of many urogenital pathologies. The drug is safe for children and can be used as an analgesic.
Antifungal polybiotic antibiotics. An effective drug used for inflammatory pathologies of the genitourinary system. Helps relieve symptoms and makes you feel better.
The best candles for cystitis, according to doctors and patients
Reviews regarding the use of suppositories in the treatment of cystitis are varied. This is due to the effectiveness of choosing one or another drug, taking into account the cause of the disease and the severity of the course. The best are cheap but effective medicines that show a minimum of side effects and have a therapeutic effect in a relatively short time.
Importance of suppositories in the treatment of other urological diseases
Diseases of a urological nature in women, men, children, and the elderly have their own distinctive qualities, due to their anatomical, physiological, and age characteristics. Male pathologies are considered - balanoposthitis, epididymitis, prostatitis, prostate adenoma. It is common to attribute cystitis, urethritis, STIs to female diseases. The decision to advise the use of suppositories in the treatment of a particular disease is made by the physician based on the symptoms, clinical course, the presence of complications, as well as the individual characteristics of the patient's body.
Treatment of such an unpleasant condition as inflammation of the bladder mucosa should be treated with special care and try to follow all the instructions of the attending physician. Otherwise, the patient will feel all the "graces" of the symptoms and will jeopardize the condition and functioning of all organs of the genitourinary system.
Any even mild dysuric manifestation should be the reason to contact a medical institution to diagnose, identify the cause of the pathology and carry out therapeutic measures.